Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Loaf #6, No Knead Sourdough

Just out of curiosity I made some of the No Knead Bread but with 2 oz less water so it's a proper dough, then after about 18 hours I shaped the dough onto my french loaf pan and baked for 20 minutes.

The dark loaves were supposed to be pumpernickel, but they turned out bitter. I used too much cocoa and/or caraway seed, and maybe they don't go together in a loaf. But the light ones I made with the sourdough starter. 1 pound high gluten bread flour, about 3 tablespoons sourdough slurry and 10 oz water. Mix until combined, cover the bowl and let rise about 18 hours. Shape and bake 20 minutes for a French loaf, probably 30 minutes for a boule. The result was a wonderfully soft, slightly sour loaf.

My next project will be challah bread, which will be a nice change of pace.

No comments: